12.8.05

frugality

I'm in the process of making a grocery price book. It's quite a long process and it will take awhile until it is finished. The gist of it is to have a record of prices for items that you usually buy. So that when they go on sale you will know if it really is a good deal and whether to stock up on the item or not, in the long run saving money. The people who use this way of shopping have seen tremendous savings in their grocery budget. This takes preparation, planning meals, looking at weekly sales papers, coupons and what's on hand. I'm really hoping that the food section of our budget will decrease, because, I know that I should be able to feed my family very well for less then what I'm already spending.
Matthew and I made the rounds to several stores this morning and I was quite impressed with what I was able to buy. Although, I'm afraid that in a few months I'm going to look back and see that my deals weren't as good as I thought...but it's a start and I have meals planned and a freezer full of food...for about $80 for 2 weeks! I thought that was pretty good! A start at least! (Although, I do need to go to the Farmer's Market to get veggies!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is GREAT! Maybe I should get a copy of your meal plans :)

Jana said...

Jordana, That is great! I would love to take a look at those price lists once you get them finished, although I am sure prices are different than what they are in downtown Atlanta. I currently drive about 30 minutes out of town once a month to shop bulk at Wal-Mart---yes, food, especially MEAT is expensive! Good luck!